Wednesday, September 22, 2004

About that flooding in the 5th wing basement....

Yesterday morning started off the usual way. I woke up, got dressed, went to formation, and got ready to go to breakfast. When I walked downstairs to the basement, however, I found myself wading through about half an inch of water that spanned most of the distance of the basement. I tried to tip-toe through the water so it wouldn't mess up my shoes, but I gave up and trudged through it.

After breakfast, I purposely avoided the route through the basement back to my room, and I got ready for swimming class. When I got back from swimming, I took a shower, got dressed, and was blowing my hair dry when there was a loud knock on the door. A maintenance worker had come to look at the drain in our shower. I moved out of the way so he could get into the small bathroom area, and after he looked in the shower, he called out to someone in the hallway, "Hey! I found the problem in here!" I was slightly taken aback by his statement, so I asked, "Uh, what is the problem?" He was like, "Well, there's been some flooding down in the basement and it's because the drain filter in your shower has come off and you girls have been putting stuff down the drain that shouldn't be there." I was horrified when he said this because he was inferring that we were dirty people who don't know proper shower drain hygiene! I said, "Sir, we really don't put anything down there. We dumped our mop water down the drain, but there weren't any solid objects in there." I was horrified because it was totally not true, and he was being so loud and everyone in the hallway could hear, including the plebe girls across the hall who had their door open. He kept reassuring me, "Don't worry, you won't get in trouble." AGH!!!

So, the day continued, I went to EE lab, lunch, and then the optometry clinic to see about some paperwork for my upcoming PRK surgery (yay 20/20 vision!). On my way into the clinic, I spotted that same maintenance worker in his truck. Unfortunately, he spotted me too, and he started waving and shouting, "Hey! I remember you from this morning!" I considered just darting into the building and not acknowledging his presence, but somehow I ended up looking back his way and saying, "Yep! That was me." He then walked over to where I was and said, "I had to tell CDR So-and-so about the problem, but don't worry, I didn't mention your name, so you won't get into trouble." I quickly shot back at him, "Yeah, but did you give them my room number?!" Then, he started giggling and was like, "Haha, oh yeah." I then bid him good afternoon and went into the clinic.

And so, the point of this whole story is.....if you lost the shine on your black shoes because of the water in 5th wing basement....you're welcome!!!

1 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Blogger Ruthie said...

Yes, we do have swimming class at the Naval Academy. In fact, we take swimming classes 3 out of our 4 years here. It's not much fun though. Basically, they take all the terrible things about swimming and make us do them. Things like jumping from a ten meter tower or swimming for 40 straight minutes in a lane with about 40 other people wearing khakis and not being able push off from the walls. Luckily, swimming ends after junior year, and we only take 1/2 a semester of it. For the other 3/4 of the year, we'll be doing martial arts. Fun fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home